They have not.
To sort it all out there is a great post over at TeachersFirst entitled Common Core: The Fuss over Non-Fiction. Take a read and get a clear understanding on where we are going.
- The 50/50 Shift: How did we get here?
- What exactly is expository or informational text? Isn't it just non-fiction?
- My Readers" Workshop already helps students to make significant gains over the year. Aside from the Common Core and its assessment, why is it so important that I teach with informational texts?
- Where can I find high-quality informational texts?
- There is no budget to buy new books at my school. How can I tell which of the books we already have are the best to use?